Pitfalls and bad experiences are a part of web application development with Ruby on Rails. These can cause significant loss of money and time. If you do not want to face such instances, hire a RoR developer with the necessary skills and knowledge.
Often, people hire amateur professionals or depend on DIY to build their web applications on Ruby on Rails. They opt for this option to cut down their development expenses. But end up losing more money because of unsuccessful projects. The reason is a lack of skills and proficiency in the field, which leads to grave development mistakes. The best way to avoid these pitfalls is hiring a reliable Ruby on Rails development company.
But what are these mistakes? How do RoR developers handle development pitfalls?
If you are pondering over these questions, you have landed at the correct place. Our experts will explain the top Ruby on Rails blunders. But first, let us learn more about Ruby on Rails.
What is Ruby on Rails?
Ruby on Rails is a popular server-side framework that allows developers to build robust, scalable, and enterprise-level web applications. Features like the MVC pattern and Convention Over Configuration make Ruby on Rails a reliable option for high-performing apps. Hence, most enterprises hire Ruby developers for their web applications.
Do you know what RoR developers love about this framework? That is RubyGems! It helps developers avoid writing excess code and significantly reduce development time.
That said, Ruby on Rails development is not error-free. Remember, these mistakes occur due to human negligence. So, most Ruby on Rails development pitfalls you can prevent if you hire a RoR developer with years of experience.
- Hire a RoR developer to avoid these development errors
- Putting complex coding in MVC
One of the common mistakes with Ruby on Rails is overstuffing coding in Model, View, and Control. You can prevent excessive coding if you hire a RoR developer with relevant proficiency. Let us look at the function of each layer of MVC architecture.
- When it comes to the Model layer, your business logic depends on it. So, stuffing complex coding is a big no-no. Also, your Ruby developer should not include logic for data conversions and email notifications in the Model. In this way, you can build better high-functional applications.
- The View layer is for the HTML files and tags. If you hire the best Ruby developers, they would know about this. Hence, they will not write database queries in the layer. After all, it is the biggest pitfall that affects your application performance and loading time.
- On the other hand, the primary functions of the Controller are managing parameters requested, handling session/cookies, rendering views, and redirecting. Besides these tasks, your RoR developer should not keep codes for other tasks in the Controller. It will help you improve the loading time of your app.
- Safeguard your configurations
Does your Ruby on Rails application use external services such as Google Maps, Facebook, AWS, and more? If yes, keep your security tight. Why? Developers use secrets.yml or credentials.yml to store the credentials of external resources and associated APIs in your configurations. To protect your credentials, your potential developer should create a separate account.
Like this, you can prevent others from accessing your credentials to your repository. However, only experienced professionals would know about this. So, when you hire a RoR developer, conduct a thorough background check.
- Inappropriate use of RubyGems
RubyGems act as a boon to developers because they make their lives easy. You might have heard the phrase â€œexcess of everything is bad.â€ The same applies to RubyGems. Many inexperienced developers make the mistake of using Gems more than the appâ€™s functionality.
But if you hire a RoR developer with hands-on experience, you can avoid such blunders. You must be wondering what will happen if there are excessive RubyGems? Following are some problems that may occur:
- Firstly, they increase the size of your web application. It can affect the performance of your app.
- Also, more RubyGems means you need more memory configurations, which increases the cost of optimization.
- Additionally, each gem comes with a dependency on another, and that chain continues. The more dependencies in an application create a lag, which is known as the compounding effect.
When you hire a RoR developer, they must be familiar with the effect of using excessive Gems.
- Failing to use Memoization
What is Memoization? It refers to a technique Ruby developers use to speed up the Accessor when developing an application. It further helps cache the results of methods that handle tedious tasks or initialize variables.
- Practicing lenient database migrations
Most developers still practice lenient database migrations, which are challenging to handle. Consider this when you hire a RoR developer next time. They should ditch old migrations because they cannot manage the application database.
Indeed, Ruby on Rails is a feature-rich and robust framework. And has some limitations. But it does not have inherited errors. Development mistakes occur because of developersâ€™ negligence and lack of attention. For this reason, look for experience and in-depth knowledge when you hire a RoR developer.
If you are searching for a reliable company offering Ruby on Rails development services, contact SoftProdigy. We house a team of experts, and you can hire Ruby developers with the highest proficiency.
- Why do Ruby on Rails projects fail?
Several reasons lead to the failure of your Ruby on Rails application. But the most common is not hiring a specific RoR developer. So, do your research before making a final decision.
- What factors to look for when hiring a RoR developer?
If you want to hire an ideal Ruby developer, consider the following factors:
- Flawless communication
- In-depth knowledge of Ruby
- Budget-friendly services
- Timely delivery
- Appropriate skillsets