Unlike in the past, app development today is much easier and hassle-free. All thanks to new technologies. For example, a Flutter app developer can build feature-rich and dynamic apps for iOS and Android using a solitary codebase. That means they do not have to write code separately for each platform. It leads to time and money saving.
If you are preparing to create your next app project with Flutter, it is an excellent decision. Supported by Google, Flutter helps you create high-performing native apps for multiple platforms. Besides faster development and cost-effectiveness, it offers many benefits. Some of these are:
- Easy and quick testing – Your Flutter app development company can write code, execute, and test for two different platforms. Hence, you do not have to spend extra time on app testing.
- High performance – Compared to cross-platform frameworks like React Native or Xamarin, Flutter creates clean 60 frames per second. That means you can enjoy the top-notch performance and smooth functions on each screen.
- App upgrades synchronization â€“ Flutter app developers use a single codebase for Android and iOS. So, you can update both apps at the same time.
- Access to a variety of plug-ins – Developers can leverage a range of plug-ins and modules with Flutter. As a result, they build excellent apps effortlessly.
- Supported by Google – Flutter is an open-source, cross-platform framework backed by Google. It offers timely updates to the Flutter app developer services providers to deal with bugs and other shortcomings.
These features make developers’ lives easier while benefiting businesses in various ways. But we know some practices that further simplified the Flutter app development. Whether you are the business owner or app developer using Flutter, you should know about these tactics. Let us get into tips that help developers simplify Flutter app development.
Top practices for Flutter App Developers to Boost Development
Flutter app developers can opt for these practices to enhance quality, productivity, and maintainability. Whether you are an experienced professional or a beginner, implement these during development.
- The build method should be pure
The first and foremost thing flutter app developers need to consider is creating a pure build mean. That means it should not have any unnecessary stuff. The reason is that some external factors may stimulate the creation of a new widget build. The following are a few examples of the same.
- Screen resize happens because of orientation change or keyboard appearance.
- Route push/pop
- The parent widget recreates the child widget.
- An Inherited Widget is a widget that depends on change.
- A basic understanding of constraints
There is a rule: â€œConstraints go down. Sizes go up. The parent sets the position.â€ A Flutter app developer cannot understand the Flutter layout if they are not well-versed with this concept. If you are curious to know more about this rule, read here.
- A widget gets its constraints from the parent. And it is said to have a set of four doubts. That is a minimum and maximum height, and a minimum and maximum width.
- After this, the widget goes to all its children. And it commands them one by one what constraints they want to have. Remember, each child has a different constraint. Did we mention the widget also asks children their size requirements?
- Once done, the step is widget positioning its children one by one. The alignment is horizontally on the x-axis and vertically on the y-axis.
- Lastly, the widget informs the parent about its size. All this take place within the original constraints.
But like any other rule, this Flutter layout concept has some limitations. For example, the widget has to decide its size with the constraints that its parent has given. That means it cannot choose any size. Besides this, it cannot have its position.
- Using operators intelligently
If Flutter app developers use operators smartly, they can prevent writing numbers of lines for execution. Here are some examples:
- Cascades operators – Cascades (..) operator kicks in when a developer is required to perform a series of operations on the same object.
var path = Path()
var path = Path();
- Spread collections – Developers utilize spread collections if the existing items are stored in another collection. With spread collection syntax, the developers can ensure easier code.
var y = [4,5,6];
var x = [1,2,...y];
var y = [4,5,6];
var x = [1,2];
- Use â€œisâ€ operator instead of â€œasâ€ operator – It is advisable that developers use â€œisâ€ operator over â€œasâ€ operator. Are you wondering why? If the cast is possible, the â€œasâ€ cast operator throws an operator. Therefore, Flutter app developers should use the â€œisâ€ operator to prevent such instances.
if (item is Animal)
item.name = 'Lion';
(item as Animal).name = 'Lion';
- Test the critical functionality of the app
While contingencies for manual testing will always remain, automated tests can help Full app developers save time and effort.
Since Flutter builds cross-platform applications, testing functionality for all platforms will be a daunting task. As a result, developers have to put in the repetitive effort. And doing so is not easy.
Indeed, there is nothing better than if a developer covers 100% code for testing. But considering the budget and time limitations, it might seem unachievable. Therefore, testing the critical functionality of the app is crucial. It will make the developersâ€™ work simple. After all, they do not have to check each code.
Most Flutter app development services providers rely on unit and widget testing. Unlike integration tests, it is not challenging and tedious.
These are some practices Flutter developers can opt for and make the development process hassle-free and straightforward. Flutter is an exceptional framework that allows developers to build feature-rich apps faster. Moreover, businesses get their apps customized without breaking a bank. But if you want to make the most of this framework, hire an experienced Flutter app developer. Do not forget to do your research before deciding.
If you are looking for more such posts on Flutter and other technologies, contact SoftProdigy. We have been delivering top-notch Flutter app development services for years.
- Why should I choose Flutter for my app development?
Flutter is a cross-platform framework that helps developers to build high-performing apps. These apps are compatible with both iOS and Android. The best thing is Flutter uses a single codebase to create multi-platform apps. It means no writing a different codebase, which saves time and money.
- Is Flutter a popular cross-platform framework?
Compared to React Native and Xamarin, Flutter is a relatively new cross-platform framework. However, within a few years, it has established itself as a promising technology in the app development industry. Currently, it is a choice of many start-ups and renowned companies. Here are the top brands that use Flutter:
- Alibaba Group