The debate between Ruby on Rails and Django has been going on for years. Experts in respective areas want to prove that Ruby on Rails is the best web framework and vice-versa.
But when it comes to Ruby on Rails vs. Django, it is a tough competition. After all, both are the leading web frameworks of current times with numerous use cases. Ruby on Rails and Django are the most preferred frameworks by developers and entrepreneurs because of their stable and robust systems.
Given the popularity and perks of both, it is not easy to pick one option. Often, people get perplexed when going through the features of Ruby on Rails and Django. If you are in a similar situation whether to hire Ruby developers or Django, you are on the right page. Before getting involved in the comparison between Ruby on Rails and Django, let us understand the basics first.
- What is Ruby on Rails?
Ruby on Rails, also known as Rails or RoR, is a back-end web application framework written in Ruby coding language. The primary reason for building this full-fledged web framework is to ensure faster development, which guarantees quick project launches. For this reason, it is referred to as a â€œstartup technology.â€
It works on two principles, including Donâ€™t Repeat Yourself (DRY) and Convention Over Configuration. These principles make web development with Ruby on Rails faster and easy to use.
Ruby on Rails is the popular choice in server-side web development for various reasons, such as:
- Faster development pace
- A vast Ruby on Rails community
- Handles complexities easily
- Package management system
- MVC to ensure extensibility and modularity in web applications
Like any other tools and technology, RoR has a fair share of limitations as well. Some of the problems people may face using Ruby on Rails are slow runtime, lack of flexibility, hard-to-fix structural deficiencies, and many more.
- What is Django?
Django is an open-source, Python-based web framework. It allows developers to build robust web applications in no time. All thanks to its pragmatic and clean design. Released in 2005, Django remains the top Python framework across the globe. If you want to know why it is so famous, we are here to help.
- Like Ruby on Rails, it has support from a vast Django community
- Speedy development
- Protection against cyber-attacks like SQL injections and CSRF
- It supports external libraries
- Reliable admin panel
Of course, it is not devoid of drawbacks. While Django is one of the most preferred web frameworks, developers and businesses may face challenges. For example, it cannot handle several requests at a time. Also, it is not an ideal option for small sites.
Now, you have a basic understanding of Ruby on Rails and Django. It is the right time to discover who wins the best web framework battle. With this comparative analysis, you will find out if Django or Ruby on Rails development company is the best for you.
- A detailed comparison between Ruby on Rails and Django
- Security – Since Django is a Python-based web framework, it offers the highest level of protection. Given this feature, even organizations like NASA use Django for their web applications. But what makes it a highly secured framework?
Django comes with plenty of tools that protect web applications from online threats like cross-site scripting, SQL injection, and so on. On the contrary, Ruby on Rails is also a reliable option in terms of security. But Django has the upper hand.
- Installation – Easy installation is something everyone looks for when choosing a framework in 2021. In this case, Django is the winner because it is comparatively easier and faster to install.
For instance, you have to follow a simple installation procedure for Django. But this is not the case with Ruby on Rails. To install RoR, you should know everything about Bundle and Gems.
- Performance – Performance is another deciding factor that helps you make the right choice. Coming to the performance of Ruby on Rails and Django, developers love both frameworks. It is because they are equipped with modern, robust scripting languages.
Ruby and Python are the topmost programming languages because they boast an extensive repository of tools, plugins, and libraries. All this helps improve the speed, which eventually leads to better performance. If we consider the precise number, the RoR framework performs 0.7% faster than Django.
- Stability – Please remember, the winner is who offers more opportunities for creativity and is stable.
Python, the programming language of Django, is highly stable. But it does not allow much creativity. On the other hand, Ruby on Rails offers both stability and creativity.
As mentioned already, Ruby on Rails works on two principles. One of them is DRY that prevents users from reusing codes. Consequently, it avoids dependencies, and the configuration convention eliminates the requirement for more effort. Hence, this ease and flexibility make Ruby on Rails more stable and creative.
- Maturity – Ever since the inception of these two web frameworks, the core teams have been working continually to make them better.
The first release of Django was in 2005, and the latest one has numerous advanced features and functionalities. When it comes to Ruby on Rails, it was launched in 2003 and never looked back in terms of growth.
The battle between Django and Ruby on Rails will continue in 2021 and beyond. Considering their exclusivity and several advantages, we cannot declare the winner. However, the choice of web framework will vary from one project to another. So, you must choose the one that matches your goals, needs, and budget. If Ruby on Rails is the one, make sure you do your homework before hiring Ruby on Rails development services.
If you want to hire a RoR developer with relevant experience and skills, get in touch with SoftProdigy. We have a team of experts who are committed to delivering the best services.