Setting up your own WordPress blog is one of the most essential skills that you need to learn as a business owner. WordPress development services are preferred because of the flexibility and community support that it offers. WordPress is a free and an open-source platform that includes tens of thousands of extensions as well as templates for easy customization. A user can employ these features and customize his site’s look and functionality without requiring any special technical knowledge.
One of the advantages for WordPress development companies which is often associated with building for WordPress is its low barrier to entry. However, when you are just getting started with your first WordPress site, it can be tough to know what you need to do to get it up and running. With the plethora of information that you get bombarded with, the process can get a little overwhelming. This is why we have curated a set of tips which can help you streamline the process and create a WordPress site efficiently.
Before getting started, you must understand that WordPress development involves three main components: the core, the theme, and the plugins.
The corecode contains all the default functionality that makes up the WordPress content management system. This includes everything from the admin backend to functions like scheduling posts, password strength checking, allowing the creation of users, and so on.
While the core is responsible for the backend of a website and how it operates, the themes are responsible for the front-end. The theme governs how the website looks and feels. While the WordPress admin is used to create posts, pages, and other site content, the theme is responsible for making them look good for the visitors. As a developer, you have the option to pick a pre-built theme out of the hundreds of options or hire a dedicated WordPress developer to create a custom design.
The third component, the plugins, provide additional functionality to WordPress. A plugin may modify the backend and/or the front-end of a website and add various features to it.
Important Tips to Consider for Newbie WordPress Developers
1. Start Small
It is important for new developers to start with something small in mind then grow their idea from there. When doing that, natural learning is bound to occur and they’ll pick up the necessary things that will allow them to accomplish more complex tasks.
2. Navigating Through Millions of WordPress Themes, Plugins, and Templates
Creative code assets are vital for developing the right website which matches your requirements and fulfils each wish.
3. Studying Existing Code
In order to better understand the nuances of WordPress development, you can go through the already accessible code to get a hang of how things are done. In the case of WordPress, the source code and all associated projects are open source, and thanks to websites such as GitHub, it’s relatively easy to find WordPress and associated projects available for study.
4. Getting Well-versed With Coding Standards
The prime purpose of enabling coding standards in place is to make sure that the code that’s being written more or less looks the same regardless of who has written it. By following the coding standard, you can ensure that your code reads better, is neat, and is easier to follow.
5. Gathering More Knowledge on the Subject
With an effervescent online as well as offline community, WordPress hosts a series of excellent resources that can be made use of in order to learn more about the platform. There are a number of different how-to sites, news sites, tutorial sites, developer sites, designer sites, and so on all of which offer a valuable, unique perspective on exactly what it involves and what it requires in order to be a WordPress developer. Be a part of these groups to amass enough knowledge on the subject before starting out with the development process.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Starting with WordPress
The following is a basic step-by-step guide to WordPress process that can help you understand the nitty-gritties of the platform.
1. Choose a domain name — A domain name is any WordPress site’s permanent address on the Internet. You may choose a domain name that you like provided it has not already been taken by someone else.
2. Purchase web hosting — Web hosting can be regarded as the ‘engine’ that powers any WordPress site and makes it accessible to visitors around the world. The next step to building a WordPress site is purchasing an adequate web hosting.
3. Install WordPress — Most WordPress hosting companies give you convenient tools to install the free WordPress software.
4. Pick your WordPress theme — The WordPress theme controls how a website looks and feels. The WordPress theme allows any WordPress development company to create an effective web presence for its clients. At the same time, it can help a newbie developer to personalize a site without requiring any special knowledge.
5. Install must-have WordPress plugins –– While themes are about style factor of the website, WordPress plugins are all about adding new functionalities to the WordPress site. Plugins make it easier to create a feature-rich website.
6. Add content — Once the theme and the plugins are in place, it is time to add content to the website. The content, which includes text as well as imagery, must be carefully planned as it lends a personality to the business.
7. Consider other plugins as needed — Once the must-have WordPress plugins have been installed, the developer can consider adding various other plugins that serve specific purposes in the website. The idea is to make sure that the website is attractive and practical for its users. An optimal number of plugins should be used as adding unnecessary plugins can bloat the website and make it heavy – thus slowing its loading time.
For any good developer, whether a newbie or a professional, the process of learning never ends. WordPress has been the platform of choice for creating personal blogs or advanced websites for decades now, and the trend is likely to remain the same for many years to come. WordPress is an ever evolving platform and incorporates latest themes as well as plugins to stay ahead of the curve at all times.