Whether you are a NodeJs developer or a business owner, keeping up with the technology upgrades is crucial. After all, they offer improvements in terms of security, features, and bug fixing. These modifications make developers’ work easier while helping enterprises save time and money.
Today, we have good news for all NodeJs users. Version 18 of the framework is available now! It has replaced the previous version, NodeJs 17.
When it comes to NodeJs, businesses of varying sizes rely on it to build their backend and hire NodeJs developers. Plus, it is one of the technologies used by full-stack developers who work on MEAN and MERN stacks. If you’re curious to learn about the NodeJs 18, we are about to discuss them. But before, let’s have a quick overview of this version:
- NodeJs in 2022
If you are kick-starting a career as a NodeJs programmer, you have made the right choice. This is because NodeJs is likely to stay for years to come. Plus, it enjoys a lot of fame. Here are statistics and facts that substantiate the popularity of NodeJs in 2022.
- In the US, nearly 6.3 million websites use NodeJs.
- Some of the leading brands, like LinkedIn, Amazon, Netflix, Tumblr, and Paypal, are among millions of NodeJs users.
- Around 85% of developers use NodeJs for web app development.
- With NodeJs, you can save development costs by 58%.
If we go by these trends, it is clear that Nodejs developers are in demand. If you want a flourishing career, the best tactics and in-depth knowledge in NodeJs are not enough. After all, companies prefer NodeJs developers that stay abreast with the latest updates and trends like NodeJs 18. Good for you! Today, we are offering a great opportunity to upgrade your skills and knowledge.
But before this, let us discover why NodeJs is still an ideal choice for web development in 2022. You may already know the features that make NodeJs outshine other technologies for backend development. Some of these perks are:
- Rapid development
- Advance caching capabilities
- Real-time app development
- Extensive community
- Excellent scalability
- SEO friendly
- Ease of use
- Data streaming
Given these benefits, it is no surprise even top companies are using NodeJs for their web apps. With this note, let us unveil new improvements and features in NodeJs 18.
- NodeJs 18: The new features and improvements
As mentioned already, NodeJs 18 is replacing the previous version, NodeJs 17. While the previous version offered optimal performance, the latest one has better functionalities and features. So, why go for NodeJs 18?
- The primary reason to upgrade to Node 18 is the V8 engine 10.1. It is the highlight of this version.
- Class fields and private class methods are here to offer better performance.
- Improvement in Intl.Locale API.
If you learn and become an expert with these features, organizations will prefer you when they hire a NodeJs expert. So, it is essential for the developers to get a hold of these features for a better chance in the market.
That said, there is something you must know about NodeJs 18 before executing. During the initial six months of release, NodeJs will be available as the current release. But in October 2022, it will convert into Long Term Support version. Hence, it will offer support until April 2025.
Now, moving on to the features of NodeJs 18:
- Default enabled Global Fetch
You can expect a default global fetch API with NodeJs 18. Remember, it is still in the experimental or testing phase. The implementation of API is likely to be spec-complaint. Also, it is based on undici inspired by node-fetch. However, the API will remain in the experimental stage until contributors verify it.
In addition to this, you can get hands-on global exposure to Web Stream APIs. Like global fetch API, they are also experimental. Here are some web stream APIs you can get in NodeJs 18.
- Node:test Module
- V8 10.1
The highlight of the NodeJs 18 is its V8 10.1. It is an updated version of the previous V8 in NodeJs 17.9.0. Plus, it is part of chromium 101. Below are the latest features that make V8 10.1 better than other versions.
- Intl.Locale API enhancements.
- Availability of array methods like findLast() and findLastIndex().
- Intl.supportedValuesOf function.
- Class fields and private class methods ensure better performance.
- V8 snapshot
Thanks to the V8 startup snapshot, NodeJs 18 can help users to create a NodeJs binary. So, make sure you use – node-snapshot-main flag.
- Default HTTP timeouts
You can use the server.headersTimeout to set HTTP header time to 60 seconds. However, in NodeJs 18, you can set the default time to 5 minutes.
- Updates in toolchain and compiler
NodeJs always had prebuilt binaries for various platforms. And whenever it updates, toolchains are improved if needed. So, the trend continues in NodeJs 18 also. The following are the prebuilt binaries for NodeJs.
- Developed on Red Hat Expertise Linux 8 (RHEL), Linux prebuilt libraries work well with Linux distributions on Glibc 2.28.
- There are improvements in the minimum supported architecture of AIX. It has upgraded from 7 to 8.
- If you want to use macOS prebuilt libraries, you need macOS 10.15.
Note:* Currently, prebuilt libraries are not available for 32-bit Windows because of some issues. However, in the coming future, this problem might resolve.
- Better support for AbortSignal and AbortController
When it comes to AbortSignal and AbortController, NodeJs is familiar with these functions. But in the latest version, we can see improved support for these. The updated AbortSingnal.Timeout() allows you to terminate an HTTP request hassle-free when using fetch.
- Improvements in ECMAScript modules
Although ECMAScript module support is not new to NodeJs, each version brings improvements. And NodeJs 18 is not an exception. Here are some upgrades, such as:
- If you want to use esm JSON modules, you no longer need a command line flag.
- It offers support for JSON Import Assertions (experimental).
- It adds support for HTTPS and HTTP imports, which is also experimental.
The best way to ensure a scalable, secure, and high-performant application is by staying up-to-date. The core team has released NodeJs 18, intending to fix bugs and errors while improving the overall functionality. Whether you are an experienced or novice NodeJs developer, upgrade to NodeJs 18 and leverage all its features.
Remember, modern enterprises are aware of tools and technologies more than ever. Most stay up-to-date with trends. If you want to be the first choice when they hire a NodeJs programmer, start upgrading your skills.
Stay tuned with SoftProdigy for more updates and valuable insights. We house a team of experienced and flexible NodeJs developers committed to delivering quality services. Also, they are always ready to learn new skills.
- What does LTS mean in NodeJs?
LTS in NodeJs refers to Long-term support. That means NodeJs offers long-term support for an extended time in a specific version. In NodeJs 18, the long-term support is from October 2022 to April 2025.
- What are the different types of API in NodeJs?
Initially, NodeJs had two types of API functions, such as synchronous, blocking functions and non-synchronous, non-blocking functions. However, with NodeJs 18, we have two additional APIs namely AP fetch and web stream API (experimental).
- Should I upgrade to Node 18?
If you want to implement the latest features and improved functionalities, you should upgrade to Node18. The version has come with improvements that ensure better security, debugging, and performance.